Outlook has two different file formats to save its data. For most of the user accounts, an PST is generally utilized. While the other format is known as OST, it allows the user to work with the data, even without the internet connection. But whenever the connectivity resume, then the changes will be made automatically. If you are looking for a solution to move the .ost file into the Outlook application, there is no such direct manual method available to import OST to Outlook 2019, 2016; first, you need to convert the OST files into the PST file format.
As we have learned from the above statement that in order to access an OST file in different MS Outlook versions such as 2013, 2016, and 2019 you need to convert it into a PST data file. This write-up outlines the manual methods to convert OST file to PST. We will also look at some methods to handle the migration directly. But first, we will look at some of the free solutions.
Know Reasons Which Necessitates to Import OST file into Outlook
Reason would depend upon the user preference, but there is some common reason on the basis of that grounds several users look to import the .ost into the MS Outlook. Some of them are as follows:
- Whenever there is an outage in the Exchange server, the user will be unable to access their mailbox data, so moving OST data into the PST file format will make sense at that point in time.
- If the Outlook user requires to transfer the data from one system to another, then without the OST conversion, they cannot do it.
- When the OST file gets corrupted so, in order to retrieve the old data, the user needs to convert them into a PST file.
- While working with Outlook, you might face some common OST file errors that will later be required to fix by converting the OST file into PST.
How to Manually Import OST files to Outlook 2019, 2016
If we talk about the manual way to transfer OST files into Outlook, several approaches are available. This blog will discuss some of the most common migration methods.
- Through Outlook Import/Export Tool
- Drag & Drop Method
Solution 1: Using the Import/Export Tool
In this methodology, the user will be required to connect with Outlook through the MS Exchange account, which is used while creating OST. If the connection breaks up at any point, then the conversion process will also stop.
Follow the below-mentioned process to save the OST to the Outlook data file:
Firstly, you need to Launch Microsoft Outlook, go to File, and select the Import/Export option.
- Now, just select the Export to a file and hit the Next button.
- In the new wizard, choose Outlook Data File (.pst). After that, click Next.
- Here, you can select the email folder required to export and click Next. Mention the desired location/path to save the resultant PST file. You can also choose “Allow duplicates to be created”. Click on the Finish button to move ahead.
- In the next step, you can also set up the password for the PST file.
Solution# 2 Drag & Drop Method
- The first step will be to open the Outlook. Go to New item>More Item and click on Outlook Data File.
- Here, you can provide the name and password to a PST file. Click on OK to continue.
- A new and blank PST file will get open up to make a new folder and transfer emails from the OST file into a PST file.
Note: User can also just drag & drop the folder into the PST file.
Direct Procedure to Move OST to Outlook 2019, 2016 Version
There are many difficulties that the user needs to tackle while handling the process of transferring the OST files into Outlook. However, there is some solution that allows to Import OST files to Outlook quite easily. One such way to reduce the time duration of the overall process and complexity is implementing Shoviv OST to PST converter software. It allows for converting any size of OST files without affecting its original data structure into PST files.
Using the software, it is pretty much easier to recover the deleted data from the OST file, including emails, attachments, and much more. This software also enables an option to preview all OST file items before the conversion. It will provide surety to the user about the correctness of the data.
OST files include the important data of the Microsoft Exchange Server. As of now, there is not a single manual solution to import OST files to Outlook 2019 directly. However, the user needs to first make the conversion of the OST files into PST. The manual process is relatively long and has limitations too. So, look for some professional software to complete the work easier and faster.